Hello all,
It’s Jake again here. This time I will be writing my thoughts and experiments about the video that I posted up a couple of years ago. Before I start discussing it, please watch the videos first so that you get the hang of what I am talking about.
Now, I was really fascinated by this video, the reason behind this is because I grew up in South Korea and now I am here in Canada. I can clearly see the difference between Asians and Westerners: the way they think, perspective, approaches to problem solving, on and on and on. This video clears my mind up a bit. We cannot judge by saying which one is superior or inferior. Both for sure should have pros and cons of their views.
I have tried all those tests that they are doing in these two videos on my high school friends. The results were as anticipated. Interesting fact here, for the people who have just moved to Canada (whom their youth and education was in Eastern Asian countries) showed somewhat different result. They were more close to being an Asian than Westerners. One example would be me. I tested myself and it turns out to be 50:50. The results may vary but in general this clarifies what differences there are.
Short review on the videos. Please comment your thoughts!
It’s Jake again here. This time I will be writing my thoughts and experiments about the video that I posted up a couple of years ago. Before I start discussing it, please watch the videos first so that you get the hang of what I am talking about.
Now, I was really fascinated by this video, the reason behind this is because I grew up in South Korea and now I am here in Canada. I can clearly see the difference between Asians and Westerners: the way they think, perspective, approaches to problem solving, on and on and on. This video clears my mind up a bit. We cannot judge by saying which one is superior or inferior. Both for sure should have pros and cons of their views.
I have tried all those tests that they are doing in these two videos on my high school friends. The results were as anticipated. Interesting fact here, for the people who have just moved to Canada (whom their youth and education was in Eastern Asian countries) showed somewhat different result. They were more close to being an Asian than Westerners. One example would be me. I tested myself and it turns out to be 50:50. The results may vary but in general this clarifies what differences there are.
Short review on the videos. Please comment your thoughts!
Cool stuff Jake,
ReplyDeleteThere's been plenty of cross-cultural studies in psychology more recently. In addition to perception, I think you might find it interesting to look into cultural differences in personality and the way people tend to interact in society.I remember vaguely that Easterners tend value community more while Westerners tend to be more individualistic.
I think you could be a good judge of this, living plenty of years in both Korea&Canada.
Hi Jake!
ReplyDeleteThank you for posting this! I've also posted it on my blog also www.koreandiary.tumblr.com (I hope that's ok!?) :)
I'm Canadian, now in Toronto... but I've taught in Korea last year and will return to Korea again in January.
I'm interested in learning more about Eastern and Western differences in Education.
Send over a note ! :) Talk to you soon!
Does anyone know the source of this video? I have seen parts 1 and 2 on youtube, but both seem to come from a larger documentary... I teach cross cultural communication in a unit at university and my students always find these videos interesting, but I don't really have a proper reference for the original source - and of course I would love a copy of the whole thing if I can find out where it came from.
ReplyDeleteAllyson
uhhh the original file is about 2gb big. and about 1 1/2 hour long. its produced by EBS in Korea. They make bunch of useful documentaries. Let me know if you really really need the video, i might consider putting all parts on youtube if i find time to do so.
ReplyDeleteHi Jake,
ReplyDeleteI just saw the complete version of this video (in English) on a Korean Air flight. I have several colleagues/friend who would love to see it. Do you know any way to get the whole thing (or all of it, in parts)? I could not find it on the EBS website. Thanks, Jim